metallic batten?

samb

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I saw this on ebay . I couldn't work it out to start - It seemed to be a cross between a wide board and a strip canoe. You can see the battens clearly on the photo looking up into the stem.
If I wasn't about to move house and workshop, and they reduced the price by about 75%, I might be tempted. I think there are probably few in the uk who would recognise what it is.

Sam

Not seeing the pictures? Its advertised again here, . . . . or not seeing why I'm thinking metallic batten?

My thoughts are: Despite all the ribs, it's not a longitudinal strip canoe as the strips are far too wide.

It's not a board and batten as there are far more ribs than I'd expect.

The photos of the inside show strips running along the joints between the boards, flush with the surface of the boards. Ted Moores description in 'The Canoe a living tradition" explains a boat with wide boards, a cover over the joint, and ribs spaced as in a strip boat. I'll message the seller to see if the cover material can be identified.

Sam

It looks more like a "flush batten cane. I do not have a lakefield catalog with one in but it looks like the construction of the "Flush batten canoe' in the 1921 Peterborough catalog page six.

page-06.gif

Back