Walter Walker 16' strip canoe at UNRESERVED auction May 4/19

Roger Young

display sample collector
Near-mint condition Walter Walker 16' cedar strip canoe, built 1996, coming to auction, May 4 2019. A 'heads-up' for anyone seeking a great buy !!!!!!

Sat. evening, May 4th, the Canadian Canoe Museum will be auctioning a number of items at a fund-raising gala. Amongst them will be a 16' cedar strip canoe by the late Walter Walker, made in 1996, in Lakefield, and signed, twice. The canoe is in excellent condition, barely used. Actual measurement: 15-1/2' long by 32" beam. It comes with 2 of Walter's cherry paddles with Thomas Gordon-style grips. This is the only item to be sold that will be open to absentee/proxy bids, with NO RESERVE.

Some background and advice for interested bidders: Walker canoes are scarce and highly sought after. Canoes of this style and condition have routinely sold for $8,000 CDN, even somewhat more, in recent years ($6,000 US and up). This canoe was appraised 6 months ago at $7,500 CDN, allowing $500 (more than is needed) to re-set the strips at the bow stem (see pics), if desired. Walter used smooth tacks when building; his strip canoes have a known tendency to 'spring' slightly at the stems. This is easily cured by a couple of hours labor to replace with 'ridged' tacks. This canoe is quite serviceable without re-setting the strips; doing so will make it pristine. Other than that, the canoe has no obvious or known faults. The paddles are a true bonus - collectors items in themselves. I know this canoe; I did the appraisal. I have no monetary interest in or other connection to it; simply helping the Museum spread the word, as well as notify WCHA friends of its availability. It will be a wonderful acquisition for the winning bidder. It should have a strong following, but will be sold, unreserved, to the highest bidder, whatever that amount may be, even if less than its appraised value. Detailed photos are attached. I will also be happy to answer questions if that will help.

Anyone wishing to submit an absentee bid by proxy should be in touch with Carolyn Anderson, Canadian Canoe Museum, 910 Monaghan Road, Peterborough, ON, Canada, K9J 5K4. Tel: 705-748-9153 x211 Toll Free: 866-342-2663 x211

Attachments

• walker.jpg
    walker.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 545
  • walker2.jpg
    walker2.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 577
  • walker1.jpg
    walker1.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 546
  • walker5.jpg
    walker5.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 504
  • walker6).jpg
    walker6).jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 496
  • walker4.jpg
    walker4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 516
  • walker3.jpg
    walker3.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 527
  • walker7.jpg
    walker7.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 500
For those who may be interested in the outcome of the auction, I am informed that this canoe and two paddles sold for CAN$8,800 (approx. US$6,500). At the same fund-raising gala, the further auction sale of about ten specially-decorated paddles (by artists and celebrities), brought in another CAN$6,000, while ticket sales (door entry) raised another $12,000. All proceeds go to the Museum's extensive, educational outreach programs which largely benefit school children in far flung regions, and help to educate them about the importance of the canoe in history and its world-wide cultural aspects.

As Roger noted, the Campfire and Cocktails event at the Canoe Museum was a financial success.
It was also a lot of fun...

In a first for the Museum, they opened the exhibit space up to patrons who were serenaded and fed at various stations scattered throughout the museum. Having full access to the museum with staff present was delightful: nothing beats an evening of talking canoes and canoe building techniques surrounded by priceless artifacts while drinking beer! I especially appreciated curator Jeremy Ward pointing out the unique character- and repairs- of Pierre Trudeau's pre-fire Bobs Special. Jeremy also recounted building a canoe with Walter Walker when Walter was in his late 90's. Great stories!

Hats off to Caroline Anderson, Carolyn Hyslop, Jeremy Ward and rest of CCM staff and board for putting on a great night.

Back