Rail Stock?

Rollin Thurlow

member since 1980
One of the canoes I have to restore this winter is a 1940's E.M. White. It was easy to see that it had some extensive repairs in the past that were not all that good. Badly installed replacement ribs, a lot of bondo filler on the outside of the hull and a pair of inside rails that were so thin they wavered all over.
In taking out the decks I found the source of the replacement rials. You don't often get documentation like this. Base Caps from Chile!
I'm not sure if this is going to take over for Spruce from the Northeast but now we know its an option!
1  07.JPG 1  30.JPG 1  31.JPG
Rollin

Nice - in these days of heightened sensitivities and runaway customer service, since they still have the UPC and would scan you could probably return them and insist on a refund as they are not satisfactory.

I just got back from Lowes. They didn't have this on the shelves and could not special order it for me. I was hoping to use it for the rail tips on the torpedo snout Brown/Whistlewing I'm working on. Apparently it's out of stock. My fall back is some old cherry I have but it doesn't have the barcode on it. So much for doing a pro job. I did pick up a big can of Bondo while I was at NAPA so at least I have that to use for filling holes and smoothing things. It's great stuff. the hardener comes in all different colors. I picked a nice bright blue.

If you are stuck for a name to bestow upon her after completion, may I suggest the ‘ bondo bunny’, or if your tastes run to the aristocratic perhaps the ‘putty princess’. And be sure to refer to yourself as 007- licensed to fill.

Reactions: MGC
Back