Introduction

C Crosby

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello all,

I thought I would share a bit about my boat and share a few photos.

I am a living historian from west-central Indiana. My main areas of interest are F&I War 1754-1763, and the AWI 1775-1783. I make my own clothing and gear, and put it to use in continuing experimental archaeology applications in many of the same locations and situations as our ancestors before us.

I purchased a 1943 Old Town Otca, 16' serial #138837-16 last year that has been heavily modified to resemble a birch bark canoe. Unfortunately it is going to require a complete re-canvassing, and fairly extensive restoration to bring it back to it's deserved glory. I will be busy this winter to get it out on the water by next Spring. That's the plan anyway.

I look forward to sharing the progress, and learning from the many fine folks here on the forum.

Sincerely,

Chris Crosby

1014181705_Film4.jpg 1014181704_Film4.jpg 1014181705a_Film4.jpg 1014181705b_Film4.jpg 1014181705c_Film4.jpg 1014181706_Film4.jpg 1014181708d_Film4.jpg 1014181709_Film4.jpg 1014181709c_Film4.jpg 1014181710a_Film4.jpg

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of talking with Jim Suffield a few years ago. He lives about 40 miles from me. He was quite a re-enactment buff as well as a canoe restorer. He was just phasing out of canoe restoration as I started up full time, eleven years ago.
He did several of these wood/canvas canoe morphs to look like bark canoes.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Osborn. Do you know if Mr. Suffield is still around?

As far as I know, Jim is still around. He lives on Squaw Lake in Rhinelander WI.
His business name was Old Squaw Canoe Restoration, I believe. I think he would be in his mid-80’s now.

Thanks Mr. Osborn. I may look him up, send him a few photos of my restoration project. Thanks for the information.

Mr. Crosby, Living in Central Indiana you must be familiar with the 'Feast of the Hunters Moon' at Lafayette, where the re-enactors with the voyageur canoes show up. Is there a Voyageurs web site? How would I get more information about those brigades? Tom McCloud

Tom,

I have been involved with the Feast since 1979 but never had much any interaction with the Voyageur side of things. The best thing I can advise is to contact the Tippecanoe County Historical Society in Lafayette, Indiana. I would post the link here, but I have yet to make three posts and don't want to get flagged for a spammer.

Back