Pearson in the limelight, again

Recognition well deserved, and great to see in print. I'm happy to say that one of Chris' models , Racine Navajo #43, sits proudly amongst my own collection. Hope to see many more.

Hi Folks

Old post. I hope it's still active.

I have Chris' Racine Navajo #19 here in Rochester, NY. I commissioned this in 198? when Chris and Ellen were still here and I was their attorney.

Tragedy struck about two years later when my office bookshelf, where this beauty was displayed, collapsed from the weight of law books. I was buried in books and the canoe was crushed - two pieces.

Chris was dismayed (an understatement), "First, I hate you. Second, I can't fix it". "C'mon, Chris, sure you can. Just like you would restore the real thing!" and dropped it off at his home. Six months (?) later, it was back on the shelf - re-glued and screwed (the shelf - not the canoe). Perfect restoration. What a craftsman.

Complaint - the center thwart keeps falling out. It seems to be about 1/4 inch short leaving too little to take enough glue to last through the change of seasons. I was fabricating a longer replacement but it dawned on me that maybe there were supposed to be 4 thwarts instead of three and I was mis-placing the "short" one to the widest point in the center and it belonged closer to an end. I called up a photo on-line and found this discussion and pictures. Nope - three thwarts.

At the risk of touching up a Picasso, .... First try in cherry is still too clunky. Needs another 10 minutes of fine sanding. Besides, it should be mahogany. You out there Chris?

Chris Werner
Rochester, NY
mistrfix@aol.com
cwerner@boylancode.com

Chris is still around... do you have any pictures? Many of us admire his work... (another understatement).

Photo

Attachments

• IMG_1253.JPG
    IMG_1253.JPG
    338.7 KB · Views: 581
He's on fb. He lives in Holland, Mi now and is making his fortune whittling stuff still; a particular mini canoe paddle comes to mind that he carved from a piece of driftwood he stole from a beaver using Ferdy Goode's crooked knife while wind bound on a beautiful island in the Quetico with me. I like to follow short sentences with really long ones.

Back