Profile of thwarts

Michaux Hiker

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Does anybody have a profile of a Old Town 17' (1923) thwart. I assume mine had 3 thwarts, but all three are somewhere in Harrisburg or in Susquehanna River never to be seen again. Too cold in my workshop for gluing, etc. Thought I would start making parts. Steam box is built.

Also is there a good place to buy ribs? White Cedar doesn't grow here.

Check your local fence co. for cedar. My local fence co. always has some white cedar. A lot of the fence co. have knotty white , my local co. has beautiful clear stuff.

Both Rollin Thurlow (Northwoods Canoe) and Jerry Stelmok (Island Falls Canoe) sell cedar rib stock. Especially if you are new to steam bending, order a couple of extra pieces . . .

Jerry sells Old Town replacement parts.
THWART ASH - SPECIFY LENGTH $ 25.00
THWART ASH - CLASSIC WOOD CANOE $ 35.00
DECK-16" ASH $ 34.95
DECK, 20" ASH $ 49.00

Hope this helps. My 1939 16' Yankee uses two of these at 30" long. I also have a 17' Otca that also uses the same two thwarts front & back in addition to one that's 34" long for the center thwart. The thickness ranges from 13/16" to 7/8". Maybe use a french curve to get the profile to taper down to 1-3/16" - there should be no 'flat' areas until 2 or 3" from either end. Once that's done use a router to put 1/2" radius on the top side & 1/4" rad on the bottom. No radius was used on the ends - just break the edge when sanding. And you'll want to angle the ends to match the profile of the inner rails across the width, and angle the width to match your tumble-home.
OldTownThwart.jpg

Thanks Howie and everybody else! This is exactly what I need. Have a piece of ash left over so I'll try and make one this weekend , I'll need three. Been busy moving my brother so not much progress on the canoe. Didn't think anybody knew what a French curve was! I was a technical illustrator and patent draftsman for almost 40 years. When we went to CAD I grabbed all old drafting board supplies and surprisingly they come in handy. Tested the steam box today. Broke for lunch came back and drilled the vent holes at the wrong end! duh....

Attachments

• P1240017.JPG
    P1240017.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 284
  • P1240018.JPG
    P1240018.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 294
That's what I did, except I glued them then someone stopped before I hammered them all the way in and the glue set. Just wasn't my day for building.

Back