Thompson Bros Canoe Seats Slatted

Martin,
I’ve seen a lot of Thompson’s here in Northern Wisconsin. I’ve never seen slatted seats.
I’ve seen no seats and plank seats on Ranger models. My guess is that they were for camps and scouts primarily.

Yes, it’s the narrower rib Hiawatha. The artwork in the catalogs changed in ‘38 or ‘39 to show the narrower ribs and half ribs. Previously from about 1921 the ribs and half ribs were wider and provides a “solid floor”, as you are well aware.
The seats may well be Thompson. However, I suspect they are replacements. Something about the radius on the stiles doesn’t look Thompson with the big round over....but they work. That’s what matters.

I don't know Dave, I checked my sheet and the H's described all had the traditional T end shape. The Rangers from '37 to 47 had this traditional high curved end shape, as does the Indian from '49 to 53, (these may both be the same canoe just with different names.) and offered/had the 1/2 ribs.

I agree about the slat seats though, I've never seen them on a T.

This is an image Fred sent me in an email, notice the really narrow ribs in the background, and again, same seat construction, and yes, a diamond head bolt

Attachments

• DSC06716-1.jpeg
    DSC06716-1.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 307
I don't know Dave, I checked my sheet and the H's described all had the traditional T end shape. The Rangers from '37 to 47 had this traditional high curved end shape, as does the Indian from '49 to 53, (these may both be the same canoe just with different names.) and offered/had the 1/2 ribs.

I agree about the slat seats though, I've never seen them on a T.

Oops, I agree with you, Dan. Not Hiawatha, based on the stem profile. I just made th assumption because of the half ribs. This one is probably an “old style” Ranger with the rounder stem profile with half ribs.
I’ve never seen a Thommy with half ribs that wasn’t a Hiawatha...

I was primed, I used to have what we "ID'ed" as a Ranger that had the 1/2 ribs. It must have been a later one, as it wasn't very inspiring build wise, it did have long decks though. An odd canoe.

For what it is worth, here is my build on these seats, I used full thickness slats half lapped into the frame members, probably should have used half thickness slats and saved some weight.

Attachments

• seats.jpg
    seats.jpg
    469.4 KB · Views: 335
Fred used the word "relocated", so there might be anther empty hole further up off the image, but I do not know, if the offsets match, then it might just be someone moved the seat for some reason, or it might just be a coincidence of 2 Thompson's having seats replaced with this style slat seats, an N value of 2 is not much to go on.

Back