Early 70's Picard

vtwoodworker

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Some of you may have seen my dilemma about starting the work on an OT charles river vs. picking up a Picard because of hull shape....well I picked up the picard. Its in much better shape than the Charles river, but ovbiously needs some work. The owner told me he originally bought it in the Spring of 1974 at the Keewaydin canoe camp on Lake Temagami as the means to get into the Northern Ontario bush, where he spent a year. He is the original owner. I have not found a serial number anywhere. I'm wondering if it was an older boat the camp restored and sold for funds as I"m finding some iteresteing small patchwork repairs in the planking. It has some planking that needs to be addressed, probably half a stem replaced, a stem end, canvas, some gunwhale work and I"ve found 2 cracked ribs. The question is on planking. A lot is split, but still sound so I will be leaving it and just reclinching. But, some of the planking at the ends that needs to be replaced is over 6" wide!!!! can I just drop it to two 3" wide pieces, or do I need to stick with the wide planking? Also, theres one spot where a plank seam is litereally where a half rib is, which appears to have "Sprung" back and opened up the seam--what do people suggest on that--remove the half rib and try to reshap and reinstall? The rest of the rib repairs will probably be backside as the canoe still has good shape and I"d like to retail as much of the original as possible.

Gut seats...how to restore them? wash good and revarnish? they are still strong, but cakey white and almost sticky.

Also, it appears this boat may have been originally guild with a keel, there are screws all the way down the center line, but they have ovbiously been cut off and are now flush with the bottom of the boat. Would people install a keel, or leave as is? if I install a keel, whats the best way to blend into the stem bands since there are no outer stems on the boat?

Thanks everyone, I'm excited to get stated and have some emails out to some local sawmills trying to put materials together.

stem2.jpg
stem3.jpg
side1.jpg
bottom1.jpg
boat2.jpg
boat1.jpg

Plank repairs are stronger if the span at least 3 ribs.
Thanks, yes, I agree. Those small patches are from the original build from what can figure out. The owner was the original owner and had never recanvassed it or done any repairs.... VERY weird....

This canoe is in better shape than the OT? The OT must be very bad.
If those patches are original, that doesn't say much for the original builder.
I'd of passed and waited for a Peternut.

This canoe is in better shape than the OT? The OT must be very bad.
If those patches are original, that doesn't say much for the original builder.
I'd of passed and waited for a Peternut.
Its not as bad as it looks. IT's Much better than the OT which needs about a dozen ribs, and entire stem, at least 1/3 of the planking, gunwhale repair, deck, seats redone, and about 2 weeks worth of stripping the 1/4 inch of varnish on the interior and green paint on all the exterior woodwork...oh yeah, and canvas...

Last edited:
The boat offers a master class in patches of all shapes and sizes. While your eye is drawn to the rectangular (ish) patch that replaced a massive knot you might overlook the little wedged beauty adjacent to the right. Two tacks, one on each end and "Bob's your uncle". I've always tried to make sure to span at least three ribs with a patch or a repair and back splices. This canoe is proof that I've only been doing this for self gratification.

The boat offers a master class in patches of all shapes and sizes. While your eye is drawn to the rectangular (ish) patch that replaced a massive knot you might overlook the little wedged beauty adjacent to the right. Two tacks, one on each end and "Bob's your uncle". I've always tried to make sure to span at least three ribs with a patch or a repair and back splices. This canoe is proof that I've only been doing this for self gratification.
From everything I see, this boat was built and maintained 100% for functionality. I like it.

Reactions: MGC
I did a big, 20 foot Picard/Huron a number of years ago and the patches were common on that one. I was able to find wide Atlantic White Cedar to replace planking with, but the old wide planking showed a great deal of cupping.

I did a big, 20 foot Picard/Huron a number of years ago and the patches were common on that one. I was able to find wide Atlantic White Cedar to replace planking with, but the old wide planking showed a great deal of cupping.
Thanks, I think I'm just going to replank it with what I can find...probably in the JV patchwork method of its origins.

pretty easy repairs, and it will paddle just fine. they have a kind of charm as honest, unrefined boats built for use in the bush. their lack of finesse puts some off who prefer or are accustomed to fancier built boats, but you wont feel bad putting dings and scratches on it during use

pretty easy repairs, and it will paddle just fine. they have a kind of charm as honest, unrefined boats built for use in the bush. their lack of finesse puts some off who prefer or are accustomed to fancier built boats, but you wont feel bad putting dings and scratches on it during use
Yup. My kind of boat!!! They're made to be used. Its all about functionality.

Well, finally started... A mad river explorer and rainbow boatworks vermonter solo slipped in front of the line over the summer. Winter is better for wood working anyway, dont need the warmer temps for epoxy/glass repairs!

SO I have a gallon of original, nasty zip-strip, but wanted to try something a little less caustice since I'm doing it in my enclosed garage. Bought some citrastip to give a go. Actually worked ok. LEt it sit for 35 minutes, covered with plastic wrap, then scraped/brushed, then washed with water and TSP. DOesnt look bad. Will probably give do the entire entire 2x...
20211109_080841.jpg
20211109_082823.jpg
20211109_082845.jpg

Okay Everyone...I was told this was a picard, but now i'm questioning it a little the more I dig into it. The decks are not notched, the inwales come to a taper as expected, then it was almost like they took the cut off from the taper and wedged it between the inwale and the deck, and that was the filler. Also, the rounded deck, vs. the heat. Lastly, it has a cary thwart(handle) up front very reminiscient of a Tremblay....But the owner bought it new from a camp in Canada and was certain him and his friend both bought picards from Camp Waubun on Lake Temagam. Funyn thing is Dylan from Salmon Falls actually remembers meeting him and his friend at one point. Maybe it was just a variatino and built with what they had laying around at the time...

and some more stripped...

Any suggestions on cleaning up the Gut seats? they're actually still solid....

20211116_101829.jpg
20211116_101846.jpg

Back