Kennebec Canoes, Harvey Inboard Motor Case?

DavidK

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Has anyone here ever seen one of these motor wells intended to use an outboard as an inboard? I found this in Bob Spelts' book. Also, is there a more appropriate forum to post this question?

IMG_4607.JPG
IMG_4608.JPG

Thanks for your response, Benson! Cool info there. Where are all these boats???

Where are all these boats?

Most old wooden boats were abandoned to rot after fiberglass became popular. Some small marine museums got started at that time because people were giving away their old boats. I have only ever seen a few motor canoes like the one shown above.

Benson

Last edited:
I know a private collection containing 5 or more traditional double-ended cedar-canvas motor canoes that have outboards for power. I’m not sure if any of them use this particular well design though.

I have a friend with an inboard Kennebec. He plans to run it this year. I'll try to get pictures and post them here.

I'd love to see any examples of an outboard in a "motor case."

I haven't seen a canoe with a Harvey case, though I have seen canoes with through-hull mounted outboards, like the one shown in this 1916 flyer. With no means to kick up, I expect a number of canoes were sunk by inattentive canoe-motorists. :eek:

2021-02-19-0001.jpg

I think Old Town was affiliated with Johnson outboards. Interesting to see Kennebec align with Evinrude.

I think Old Town was affiliated with Johnson outboards.
Sue Audette's book The Old Town Canoe Company: Our First Hundred Years says "By 1923 Old Town Canoe took on the distributorship of the complete line of popular Johnson outboard motors, becoming Johnson's first distributor" on page 67. See https://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?threads/11544/ for more about some inboard motor canoes that they made prior to 1923.

Evinrude was often described as "Evin-crude" when I was a child wandering around the Old Town factory in the 1960s. Their factory inventory from December 31st, 1910 had a Thrall engine with a value of $45 in stock on page 124. This and an advertisement for these motors from 1909 are shown below.

Benson

Thrall-engine.jpg

Engine-a.jpg

Last edited:
By the 60's, the Evin-crudes were mechanically the same as the Johnsons. Just a different hood and different color.

Johnson introduced their outboards in 1922. Old Town was an early adopter!

Last edited:
Back