Old Town Center Console

Nay

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Not quite a wooden canoe subject but hoping that someone might have some historic info on a boat that I remember seeing in the late 60's. I remember that it had an Old Town logo on the stern quarters, was an Inboard/Outboard and a center console. I have searched for years on and off the internet for any info on it such as years made, model name, any still in existence, etc. I finally managed to find an obscure page from a 1973 Old Town catalog that shows a photo and some minor info on it. It was called the Old Town Eagle 20 and was made of fiberglass.
I pose the request here since maybe some record of these boats was contained in the historical database and if there are any fans of the model online. Any, and all, info, pics, manufacture dates, numbers built and current fleet survivor status would be greatly appreciated.

Old Town Eagle 20.jpg

Thanks,
Nay

These were listed in the catalogs from 1969 to 1974. The scanned catalogs at http://www.wcha.org/store/complete-old-town-canoe-company-catalog-collection will have more details. There are build records for these but they are mixed in with their other boats and canoes so it isn't easy to locate one without a serial number. If you find one then it should have a tag like the one at http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php?attachments/41372/ with the serial number. They were fun to drive but not many were made. Feel free to reply here if you have any other questions. Thanks,

Benson

That must of been an experience using the toilet on the "Eagle" Basically you would be using the head while someone was sitting on your head!

Yeah, I agree, but probably not as bad an experience as trying to get up into that helm seat. But I still sure would like to see one of these, not too bad a compromise to get to bring the wife out with you. For some reason I find the boat quite interesting with the Command Bridge style of console.
Nay

probably not as bad an experience as trying to get up into that helm seat.

The access wasn't as bad as you may fear. There is a step on the right over the fire extinguisher. You quickly learned to put your left foot on that step so your right foot was free to place on the top, then you could easily swing your left leg over the back of the seat and sit down. It is easier to do than to describe. Let me know if you find one.

Benson

Last edited:
I sure will keep looking, Benson. Have you driven one? How was the ride? If anyone has more photos of her please post them up or PM me. I'm really curious.
Nay

Have you driven one? How was the ride?

I have driven them many times and the ride is great. It has a deep "V" hull and is very comfortable under most conditions short of small craft warnings. They aren't quite as much fun for the passengers as the driver. Some more pictures are attached below.

Benson

SEAGL-1.JPG

SEAGL-F.JPG

3RD-DOCK.JPG

WOW, thanks Benson. I like this boat more and more. You happen to know who the designer was, or was it an in-house design?
Nay

Back