WCHA webmaster wanted

Michael Grace

Lifetime Member
The WCHA is looking for a dedicated WCHA member and wooden canoe enthusiast to serve as webmaster for this site. Experience with Drupal is preferred but not required. The new webmaster will not only monitor and manage the current website but will also have the opportunity to envision and effect important improvements in the WCHA's web presence. Further details can be had by contacting the current webmaster, Benson Gray, or you may contact me (Michael Grace) or the WCHA's Executive Director, Annie Burke.

Contact information can be had at:
http://wcha.org/about-wcha

or you can use:
http://wcha.org/contact

Last edited:
There is still time to express your interest in the position, so please make contact ASAP if you or someone you know would be a good fit to support the WCHA by daily oversight of the website. Thanks!

Is there a plan to walk away from Drupal if that is the current platform. It seems that at least modest Drupal or PHP experience should be a basic requirement. After several months a novice could (with instruction and learning curve) monitor and maintain. It would be surprising if a novice Drupal user could be capable of planning development.

The WCHA's web site is due for another significant update so the incoming webmaster will have the chance to build the new version using their preferred platform and tools. The current site uses Drupal but it is unlikely that the new site will be based on that. There has also been significant discussion about what should be changed in the new version of the web site. This forum will stay but the number of items in the store may be scaled back for example. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question. Thanks,

Benson

Last edited:
Reactions: MGC
Thank you Benson....that makes a bit more sense.
E-commerce ain't all it's cracked up to be. It can drive all kinds of craziness and complexity into a website. Presumably part of that discussion has included outsourcing that part of the requirement. More companies (organizations?) have decided that outsourcing e-commerce (and the related security/transactional development) overcomes the complications that go along with trying to make one enterprise solution that does everything. That could simplify the architecture/platform selection...been there done that.

Yes, I believe that there has been some discussion about outsourcing the store completely but no final decision has been made yet as far as I know. There are a lot of moving pieces in this puzzle.

Benson

Benson,
Looking at Wooden Canoe 42 no 5 it appears that you are still "interim" webmaster. OK, got it. But what about the plans for the website revisions/changes? Are they still in play and if yes, what are those plans.
Communication about WCHA business and board level engagements don't seem to be regularly discussed in view of the general membership. That should be something actionable.

it appears that you are still "interim" webmaster

Yes, I currently have a full time job and do not wish to be more than a volunteer interim webmaster. The plans for the website revisions/changes will depend on the new webmaster, who has not yet been identified. I understand that they may have a potential candidate in mind but the details have not been worked out yet. Part of the challenge is matching the scale of the web site to what the organization can afford. I am confident that these forums will survive but some of the other current features may not. Michael may be able to provide more details.

Benson

Last edited:
There is never any effort to keep decisions from view of the general membership. Please know that the board is and always has been made up of volunteer members, and everyone is encouraged to participate in the leadership of our organization and to reach out to the board with questions, concerns or offers of support.

In answer to the specific issue raised here, there has been no news because there is no news. One potential candidate was suggested but we have been unable to get any more input there. We’ve had another member propose to develop a new base site and manage it, with preservation of the vital forums. Again, that has not yet developed to the point where it is a sure thing, so any announcement would be premature.

Anyone wishing to support our organization in any way is strongly encouraged to do so. Run for a position on the board. Volunteer to help produce Wooden Canoe, or help with the Annual Assembly or any of the many wonderful regional events. Let the board know if you have expertise in marketing, fundraising, or other things that could benefit us as a group. Those who volunteer seem to enjoy what they do.

Speaking of volunteerism, here is a BIG thank you to Benson. He stepped in to manage our web presence, he keeps our social media presence active and exciting, and he still takes considerable time to share his deep knowledge with people via the forums (and there’s even more more behind the scenes activity). Many thanks, Benson. You’re an inspiration to me and hopefully many others as well.

Michael

Ditto what Michael said about Benson. I an always amazed at the amount of info Benson brings to the table and the amount of time he must spend looking up serial numbers and replying to posts - and he works full time to boot. People like him make me look positively lazy!

Jim & Jean

Yes, I currently have a full time job and do not wish to be more than a volunteer interim webmaster. The plans for the website revisions/changes will depend on the new webmaster, who has not yet been identified. I understand that they may have a potential candidate in mind but the details have not been worked out yet. Part of the challenge is matching the scale of the web site to what the organization can afford. I am confident that these forums will survive but some of the other current features may not. Michael may be able to provide more details.Benson
Benson, you have done more than your fair share in support of this site, research etc. I hope that this eventually is addressed. You are the outward face of this organization through your regular and constructive engagement with members, visitors and participation on this site.

Yes, Benson has really stepped up, especially in light of the circumstances that led to my resignation.

Unfortunately, I think it will be very difficult to find a webmaster to take on what I had been for a quite small paycheck and what Benson is now doing without compensation.

Aw shucks folks, this is getting embarrassing. I feel that my help is following a long line of other people who have contributed a great deal to make this organization what it is today. Thanks,

Benson

Last edited:
Back