Serial number search

Kurt

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hi, I just picked up a Old town sailing canoe serial # 71046 18. Needs a little work but all the pieces are there and it looks all original. Any information on it would be appreciated! Thanks, Kurt

The build record for Old Town 71046 is missing or mis-filed. The best I can tell you, based on the build records of canoes with near-by serial numbers, is that the canoe was likely built in early to mid 1922.

Thank you for your quick reply! Can I assume that the red color on the inside was done sometime after it was built and sold? Were all the canoes just clear varnished on the inside? The green paint is flaking off but underneath it is also green and appears to be the original color. IMAG0301.jpg IMAG0306.jpg IMAG0303.jpg IMAG0302.jpg Thanks for the help

Can I assume that the red color on the inside was done sometime after it was built and sold? Were all the canoes just clear varnished on the inside?

Yes, Old Town canoes were typically just varnished on the inside, not painted like this one. Can you attach some pictures of the serial numbers from both ends for confirmation? Good luck with the restoration,

Benson

Looking for help identifying the type of wood on the gunwales , deck, seats and thwarts. I stripped most of the red paint off and would like to ID the wood, especially the outwales and the deck so I can begin with remaking the wooden parts this winter. I attached a picture of the bottom side of the decking where it wasn't painted and it appears to be mahogany? What kind of wood are the outwales? Last question, The two seats appear to be different woods the stern is much darker, any ideas? This will be my first wood/canvass and am already hooked. Removing the paint from the interior was work but it is looking better everyday. I appreciate any help and advice . Thanks
IMAG0427.jpg
IMAG0420.jpg
IMAG0421.jpg
IMAG0422.jpg
IMAG0423.jpg
IMAG0424.jpg
IMAG0425.jpg
IMAG0427.jpg
IMAG0420.jpg
IMAG0421.jpg
IMAG0422.jpg
IMAG0423.jpg
IMAG0424.jpg
IMAG0425.jpg
IMAG0427.jpg
IMAG0421.jpg
IMAG0422.jpg

Benson, Thank you for the info and your quick reply. I'm sure I will have some more questions in the future.
Thanks again, Kurt

Back