Peterborough Ace

Michael Grace

Lifetime Member
Can anyone out there shed light on the Peterborough Ace canoe vs. the Peterborough Comet? I've known the Dart and the Comet as sister models, the former in cedar-canvas and the latter all-wood longitudinal strip construction. Both have strongly recurved stems (for Peterborough), seats that rotate from horizontal to vertical, and long, peaked decks. The canoe I have looks like what I know as a Comet but the tag says that the model is "Ace". Are the Comet and the Ace the same thing, renamed over the course of time, or are there differences? If they are the same, does the name "Ace" define the timeframe it was built?

Thanks for any input - Michael

Peterborough  Dart 2_sm.jpg Peterborough Dart 1_sm.jpg Peterborough Ace sm 1.jpg Peterborough Ace sm 2.jpg

You need to get a copy of the Canadian catalogs from http://www.wcha.org/store/canadian-wood-canoe-and-boat-company-catalog-collection for questions like this. The Dart and the Comet were sister Sport Model Canoes as shown in the 1930 and previous catalogs. The 1937 and later catalogs identified the Dart and the Ace as sister models. The 1943 catalog had a "Discontinued" rubber stamp on these models as shown below. Let me know if you find any more detailed information. Thanks,

Benson

page-10.jpg

Thank you, Benson. This is very helpful. I need to get the Canadian canoe company catalog CD! I have the Historic Wood Canoe and Boat Company Catalog Collection CD, love it and use it regularly.

So Comet 1930 and before, and Ace 1937 until 1943. What about the time period between 1930 and 1937? Are catalogs from that period unavailable?

Many thanks - Michael

What about the time period between 1930 and 1937? Are catalogs from that period unavailable?

The WCHA's scanned collection doesn't include any Peterborough catalogs from that time period so please let me know if you find some. Thanks,

Benson

It also appears that the name was changed because an inboard motor boat became the Comet.

Benson

Back