The next project.

monkitoucher

Canoe Curious
I picked up 18 clear western red cedar 2X4s that are 9' long for $300. I have 7 rough clear eastern white 1X6s that are a shade under 9'. I also have a set of spruce rails that were about 15' long. Shoot I even have a set of thwarts.

I was wondering what I could build with that. I was thinking about doing a 10 to 15 foot pack canoe. I'm not a big fan of the shape of the peapod. I kind of want a bit of recurve on the rails as they come into the decks. But not too much like with the Bob's Special.

Any suggestions?

I know it doesn’t fit your description but I have a form for a Atkinson Traveler in south Denver if you want to use it. Can’t speak to whether it would be enough lumber.

@K90 that is really generous. I already have two 17 footers. That form makes a pretty canoe though. The Cheemaun with thinned ribs may be the ticket.

Chestnut Fox, set up for solo work.
Aptly named, paddled tandem mine will put you in the drink in the blink of an eye...tis way tender.
Solo it's about as good as it gets...but the Cheemaun...that's a fine boat. It's nice to have choices.

Cheemaun set up as a solo is a lovely boat to paddle
030_zps69f5ecdb.jpg

Both are charmers. Any pros and cons for either? I have the plans for the Cheemaun in "The Wood & Canvas Canoe" book.

Both are great boats. The cheemaun turns really well, the chestnut turns well. The chestnut is easier (but not much) in a straight line. The chaamaun is a bit bigger for tripping, the chestnut is lighter. Building wise, I think I might be more traditional with the chestnut - using the same materials they did, whereas with the cheemaun I really like the Black walnut against the sapele and ash gunnels.
As with all wooden canoes they all have pros and cons. I'm about to move house so need to pass on some boats. I've decided the cheemaun is the one to go.
I don't think you'd be disappointed with either.

Sam

Back