Canoe Storage Shed Ideas

RRHenseler

The Canoeist
A fleet of canoes has always been our dream, and that dream is finally coming true; which leads us to the dilemma of appropriate storage. The rafters of our garage are filled and we have 2 more wooden canoes being finished soon. We would like to build a canoe storage shed that looks good and protects our canoes from the elements. We live in Wisconsin, close to the shores of Lake Michigan, and need to protect the canoes from rain, snow, ice, and wind. We've built a small cordwood masonry/timber frame storage shed and want to create another unique, rustic building in our backyard. We're looking for anyone else who's built a canoe storage shed/barn and would appreciate seeing pictures of your creations, to get ideas and inspiration from. We've been thinking of building a timber framed 6' x 20', 3-sided shed, with a canvas cover that could be rolled down for protection; does anyone knows if that is doable or would we risk the 20' span sagging?

If you are building a traditional timber frame with a 20' span for the plates, you will get both sagging and spreading. You will want at least a three bent frame with a posts and a tie beam at the center. The transverse braces will be in your way at the center as well.

If you have the space, I would consider going wider, and moving canoes in and out through the end of the shed. 8' wide and you get canoe storage on one wall, and room for paddles, sail rigs, pfds, and other stuff on the other wall. 10' - 12' wide, and you can store canoes along both walls.

Attached is a recent photo of my timberframe canoe "shed" in progress...

Attachments

• Bent three.jpg
    Bent three.jpg
    348.2 KB · Views: 1,342
I have a "shed" in progress, to store the canoes and other items.

I "started" thinking a simple 6x20 (8 or 10 slots) that was open on the 2 long sides, w/canvas as you describe.

But then I wanted to store more canoes, and I wanted better protection, ie, side walls. So it grew to 16x20, with a double depth rack on each outer side wall (16-20 slots).

But then I thought that adding room for a boat and the camper and garden tractor would be nice too, so it grew again, now to 21or22 x 30, and a bit higher to have 5 canoes high. Still with the 2 double side racks, plus a single rack on the back wall, (25 slots) plus the boat down the middle and the camper and tractor tucked into the front corners. Very tight but I hope/think all will get inside.

Cost has also increased, from very cheap to now something in the 3-4k range. I've collected almost all the materials used and just need to process them, ie, cut/extend to length, so they are ready for the actual building next year. Still need to get a building permit, being they want it built in 1 calender year, it will start next year.

It will be a pole barn style, 6x6 posts with trusses and metal siding and roof. It will have a 10' plus sliding door on 1 end.

Of course the building site also had to be enlarged, I started with 20 yards fill, got another 60, and now have another 40 sitting in the driveway as I get a bobcat lined up to move it.

The only pics I have is of the materials and empty site, not of much help for you.

Dan

BTW, when mine was going to small, I was going to build a support frame in the middle, and then use 8 or 10 ft trusses for the roof, running across the middle support, to prevent the middle from sagging.

Mr. Miller,
Did you ever finish your Timber frame Canoe Shed?
If so I'd love to see some pictures.

Mr. Miller,
Did you ever finish your Timber frame Canoe Shed?
If so I'd love to see some pictures.

Mostly. I'll try to sneak out tomorrow to get current photos of the shop and attached shed. I'll crop out the canoes spilling out into the yard...

Back