Commercial paddle makers

Paddles are pretty personal items. I like the ones I make better... but I've been accused of being biased!

I really like the idea of the paddles made from reclaimed Jack Daniel’s bourbon barrels. Looking forward to seeing them on the site....

But everyone knows that old bourbon barrels should be shipped to Scotland for use as casks for aging single malt scotch.......

opnob.12yo.jpg

As for paddles, I'm thinking about trying a couple of these, which have thickness profiles very much like some of the finest, best balanced traditional paddles I've ever used (which is quite rare these days). I can't say I'm at all thrilled about finishing them with linseed oil, pine tar and turpentine, but they will sell them unfinished and I can do them with either Deks Olje #1 or varnish. The best part of a great wooden paddle is not the wood you put into it, but the wood you removed from it.

paddle-bcs1.jpg

http://www.barkcanoe.com/accessories.htm

But everyone knows that old bourbon barrels should be shipped to Scotland for use as casks for aging single malt scotch.......

Seems about right, Jack Daniels is at the bottom of the bourbon food chain, and never could develop a taste for scotch. Now Jamesons or Red Stag, those make self control difficult. As for paddles, havent found any i like as much as my Shaw and Tenney Racine patterns, if we're giving preferences...

Seems about right, Jack Daniels is at the bottom of the bourbon food chain,

Andre....better stick to burning canoes.....Jack Daniels is not Bourbon...it's mediocre Tennessee whiskey. Proper bourbon hails from Kentucky.

Agree about the Shaw paddles...they are hard to beat.
That said, I tend to use my Branches paddles for long trips and the "nice paddles" for general poking around. I have watched too many good paddles float away and I have also managed to leave a few on portages.

Back