Stephanie Lynn is finished

JClearwater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
Stephanie Lynn is finally finished after nearly two years of free time effort. This is a 1943 CS grade Old Town Double End Boat. I replaced four ribs that were badly broken, repaired two others, about 10 ft. of planking, tips of stern inwales, replaced both decks (one was split badly so I replaced both so they matched) with Cherry and made a new floor rack and outwales which had gone missing before I got the boat. The sail rig was missing the mast step, both lee boards, lee board thwart, mast partner and all the hardware. I made all those parts. This boat was never varnished on the inside. Despite my best efforts at stripping I could not get all the old paint out so I repainted the original gray. I was successful removing the paint from the seat support rails and inwales. Being a war time boat most of the tacks were steel not brass. Luckily they were in good condition. I added at least one new tack thru each plank in every rib for peace of mind. The paint is Kirby #7 Green and #28 Reddish. The pin stripping and lettering is the only thing I didn’t do myself.

The boat is named after my cousin’s wife who died at 40 leaving behind her husband Roger and two teenage daughters, Hannah and Rebecca. She will now live again dancing on the water in a breeze making people smile like she always did. We plan to christen the boat at the Assembly on the 16th. Everyone is welcome to join in the fun.

Unfortunately Jean and I can only be at the Assembly Tuesday through Thursday because we are attending a wedding on Friday in PA.

Jim C.

Attachments

• IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    343.1 KB · Views: 684
  • IMG_0280.JPG
    IMG_0280.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 803
  • Pinstripe 010.jpg
    Pinstripe 010.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 684
  • IMG_0274.JPG
    IMG_0274.JPG
    251.9 KB · Views: 707
  • IMG_0277.JPG
    IMG_0277.JPG
    415 KB · Views: 674
Really nice -- I love the oak leaf/acorn detail, and the painted interior with the bright-finished details works really well -- better, perhaps, than all varnish. See you at Assembly.
Greg

Looking forward to sailing with you. I love the work your detailing guy did. Your boats are true works of art.
See you at the Assembly. We will only be there on Thursday.

Thank you everyone for your nice comments. I am very happy how it turned out. Jean and I took it out last Saturday afternoon but there was very little wind so we couldn't give it a very good test. I worry that the rudder is not big enough or that it doesn't stick down into the water deep enough. The rudder is the correct one for the boat but I think it was meant only for steering when the boat was being rowed, not for sailing. It is barely lower than the keel on the boat. At the Assembly maybe someone with more sailing experience than me can offer some advice. We will give it a go next week.

Jim C.

I worry that the rudder is not big enough or that it doesn't stick down into the water deep enough.

The boat looks great. A balanced sail rig doesn't need a huge rudder in most circumstances. Your leeboard thwart is easily adjustable to provide a broad range of options to balance the rig. You should always carry a paddle for emergencies and it can easily be used to help push you through a difficult turn (unless you are in a official sailing race). See you next week,

Benson

Back