Random app question

Dan Miller

cranky canoeist
Staff member
Just curious - if there were a smartphone and/or tablet app available from WCHA, what would it be or what would it do?

You can already do that. I use Safari on my iPhone. I've looked at add-ons like ForumRunner or Tapatalk, but so far they get mediocre reviews, and there hasn't been any requests...

Forgive me for being blunt, but must there be an app just because apps are possible? Should we be searching for a purpose just so we can say we have an app? Technology for technology's sake... hmmm...

Forgive me for being blunt, but must there be an app just because apps are possible? Should we be searching for a purpose just so we can say we have an app? Technology for technology's sake... hmmm...

As I said, merely curious. No need is a perfectly acceptable answer.

I do have other hobbies where apps on my phone have become part of my routine, including music (both playing and listening), timber framing / woodworking and birding.

Help ID that barn find you just came across.. The deck details and some pics of relevant construction. Sort of like Bird ID only Canoe ID.

I have used the FileApp package to create working prototypes of applications for the Wooden Canoe Journal archive, old catalog collections, and build record archive. However, I haven't found many reasons to use these for various reasons. I've tried Tapatalk occasionally but never found a connection to the WCHA forums. My use of Safari on the iPhone to read the WCHA forums is usually frustrated by having to spend most of my time zooming in and out. It would be nice to see the current Wooden Canoe Journal on my iPhone but I would probably still prefer to read it on paper. Some of the presenters at the Assembly might like to be able to run the projector for their evening sessions from an iPad but there doesn't appear to be a simple solution to that issue yet.

A canoe identification application like Kim suggested might be interesting as an experiment in artificial intelligence. However, even this group is frequently stumped so software may not be able to adequately resolve that problem. Andre's proposal for impulse control may hold the most promise. My biggest issue at the moment is canoe storage space but the current hand held device technology doesn't offer an obvious solution for that either. Oh well,

Benson

Last edited:
I can relate to the storage issue. I currently have a 15' sitting diagonally in my living room.

That has me thinkin'... once the kids' rabbits go bye-bye (this weekend?), I could put a canoe rack on the family room wall...

I can relate to the storage issue. I currently have a 15' sitting diagonally in my living room.

I don't see the lack of an app a hindrance to the site. Now if someone would invent a stretchable garage that heats for nothing I would be very happy. Currently our restore project is in the garage. Once the snow starts flying we have to move it out somewhere. Somewhere above 50( a temp my garage will not see till May). Its called the family room...

once the kids' rabbits go bye-bye (this weekend?)

I like the way you think, i have'nt made a good stew in a while. Might use beef though.

If I were single the basement den would have storage racks. Actually the dining room gets used less so that might be the better choice!

Rather than an app maybe make the forum available in a mobile version as Benson hinted at. I know the technology exists such that a site will load in standard or mobile version depending on the device used to access but not sure if that could be applied to the forum application.

I agree with the mobile version suggestion. I have never been able to access the classified on my android tablet or s4 phone. Just goes to a blue screen. I use the tablet often. Forum can get funky loading to. Haven't checked out the store.

Back